Learning how to clean your car mats is essential to car maintenance. Every time someone steps into your vehicle, they likely bring a small trail of dirt, gravel, mud, and/or sand with them. All of this debris gets on your car mats. That being said, it is extremely important to know how to effectively clean car mats, whether they are cloth or rubber!
If there is a noticeable mess, you should wash your mats as quickly as possible. Otherwise, a quick monthly cleaning will suffice. Today, we are sharing some tips on the best way to clean your car mats and keep your car looking fresh!
Before You Clean Your Car Mats
When you begin to clean your car mats, it is most effective to remove them from the car completely! It is a lot easier to tackle the dirt and stains outside of the vehicle. While the mats are out, we recommend giving your car a good vacuuming.
How to Clean Cloth Car Mats
Cloth car mats are typically made from nylon fibers and are coated with water-resistant backing. Available in various levels of plushness and thicknesses, cloth car mats can come in many different forms. It is important to deep clean your car mats, especially the cloth ones, because to may have built up dirt, food debris, bacteria, or more within the fabric.
1. Shake and Vacuum
- First, you will need to give your car mats a good shake. This will help them get rid of as much loose dirt and debris as possible before cleaning.
- After shaking each mat, lay them flat on the ground. Vacuum each mat well, while being sure to get both sides.
2. Add Baking Soda + Water
- We recommend taking baking soda and rubbing it into the upholstery to remove any stains and unpleasant odors that may be present. You can also mix some baking soda with water in order to better clean the mat. Take a stiff brush to scrub/scrape off all the dirt and grime.
3. Use Soap
- After applying baking soda and scrubbing, you should use a soapy substance in order to clean car mats thoroughly. There are several different ways in which you can do this.
- One way is by using a spray cleaner. Do this by spraying carpet cleaner onto each mat and let them sit for at least 30 minutes. This allows the mats to absorb the cleaner. Then, use a brush to work the cleaner through them.
- Another way to achieve a clean car mat is by using Rocket Carwash’s Hot Water Mat Machine. Our machine effectively cleans and dries both rubber and carpet car mats within just 30 seconds! This will save you both time and the hassle of cleaning and scrubbing your own car mats!
4. Vacuum Again
- Vacuuming again will suck up some of the remaining water and dirt particles.
5. Dry Mats Thoroughly
- Finally, hang your clean mats to dry, or put them in the dryer. Do not put them back into your car until they are completely dry, otherwise, they’ll leave a damp smell.
How to Clean Rubber Car Mats
Luckily, washing rubber car mats is not as involved as cloth. These car mats are more common in areas with colder climates where it rains and snows more frequently. Rubber mats prevent moisture from damaging different parts of the car’s interior, but they still collect dust, dirt, and debris over time.
1. Shake and Whack
- To start, be sure to give your rubber makes a good shake. We recommend even whacking them against the ground or another hard surface. If there are materials that continue to stick, you may want to try a scraper to remove them.
2. Rinse with a Hose
- Next, use a hose to rinse the mats to dislodge any loose debris.
3. Wash with Soap
- Using a rag and spray, add some soap to the mats. The dirt and grime should come off pretty easily, but wipes or a baking soda mixture can work too.
4. Hose Off
- Rinse off the soap with water.
5. Dry the Mats
- At this point, you can hang the mats to dry over a railing, wire, or another item in order to air dry. Do not put the mats back into the car until they are fully dry.
Whether you need to clean your car mats or detail your car Rocket Car Wash has you covered! Here at Rocket Car Wash, we use some of the best technology and equipment to treat your vehicle to a wash unlike any other! When you sign up to be an unlimited member, you’ll get access to things like our state-of-the-art mat machine, glass cleaner, towels, and all-purpose cleaner–just for being a member!